Skagit Valley College

Coop-Ed Frequently Asked Questions

Jan  1 1900 12:00AM

Click a question to view the answer.

How many credits do I need?

That varies according to the program and what is required for your degree or certificate. You should speak with an academic advisor if you are unsure how many credits you need to achieve your educational goal. Sometimes in the Summer Quarter students may increase the number of credits of Cooperative Education when other classes are not offered and they need to carry a minimum number of credits to maintain their student status. You faculty or academic advisor can help you determine how many credits you need for your program.

How do I find a good Cooperative Education work site?

Students are responsible for finding their work place where they will complete their internship. It is useful to begin looking before you HAVE to complete this class. If you are having difficulties finding a suitable job site, begin by speaking with your Department Chair or instructors. Many Professional/Technical instructors maintain relationships with local employers. If you still have trouble, you may ask the Cooperative Education Coordinator if he has received any requests from local businesses for interns. Finding your internship uses the same skills you'll need to find a paying job so be sure to visit the Career Services Team to build and boost your job search skills.

Can I use my current paying job as my Cooperative Education experience?

Yes. If you can show how your current job duties relate to your major and if you can develop Learning Objectives that force you to step outside of your normal range of duties and conmfort zone. We want you to show application of your skills and knowledge.

When should I do my Cooperative Education internship?

Most students complete Cooperative Education in their second year of study, or at least after a few quarters. Check with your faculty advisor to ensure you have received enough training to be able to demonstrate your skills properly in a work setting before beginning your Co-op Ed experience. When you have your faculty's approval, you may register for Cooperative Education as soon registration begins for the next quarter. You may register on-line but that requires an Access Entry Code that can be obtained from your faculty advisor or the Co-op Ed Coordinator.

How can I get more information about the 199 class?

Get yourself a copy of the current Course Syllabus by clicking the Syllabus and Forms link located on the left side of this page. You may also want to complete a orientation by clicking the Cooperative Ed Orientation link. If this is your first time in a 199 class, you must either complete the online orientation by answering the short quiz at then end or by speaking with the Cooperative Education Coordinator who will go over the syllabus with you and answer any questions. The Coordinator will also provide tips and suggestions to help you make your Co-op Ed experience worthwhile and successful. If you prefer the online orientation, you'll be asked to send a confirmation email with your answers to the Coordinator.

Can I register for the class online?

Yes. You will need an Access Entry Code that you get from either your Department Chair or from the Co-op Ed Coordinator. This code will enable you to register online. Pay close attention to the number of credits shown to ensure it matches your needs. The system will default to six credits and if you need something other than six, you'll need to update that number before you click "Submit."

Is there a limit to how many credits I can take in a quarter?

The system has a cap of 15 credits but the maximum numbers of credits is usually limited by the amount of work hours you can earn in a quarter. It takes roughly 30-50 hours of work per credit in a given quarter so be sure you have enough time and energy to complete the work hours and assignments. Taking more than five credits of Co-op Ed is extremely challenging, and many students underestimate the impact of the increased amount of work hours and written assignments. Be sure to discuss it with your faculty and Co-op Coordinator. Be aware that you'll need to develop and complete a Learning Objective for each credit you've signed up for, in addition to the standard two Learning Objectives that everyone does. Sometimes students will take on additional credits in the Summer Quarter when the regular class selections are limited but be aware that the Summer quarter is usually shorter than the others.

Can I split my Cooperative Education credits into more than one quarter?

Yes, if your Department Chair approves. In fact, this approach is often recommended by former students in order to increase your exposure to one long-term project or to work at two or more organizations for a real-world comparison. You do NOT need to complete an orientation if you have finished a previous Co-op Ed class but you are advised to check out the information anyway to be sure nothing has changed.

What is the difference between the 30 hours-per-credit option and the 50 hours-per-credit option?

But Simple arithmetic says the answer is 20 hours. But for this class, the main difference is this: Students choosing the 30 hrs/credit option work 30 hours at the work site for each credit they are seeking. In addition, they will participate in the Weekly Online Discussion accessed via Moodle. Students who don't like the online aspect of the class may work 50 hours at the work site for each credit and they will submit a Mid Term paper instead. Details are covered in the Course Syllabus.

What assignments will I be required to complete for this class?

The Course Syllabus contains all the information about the assignments, their due dates and tips to complete them. The Learning Contract and Learning Objectives are the first two assignments and must be completed prior to beginning work. Students selecting 50 hours/credit must turn in a mid-term paper. Students in the 30 hours/credit option will participate in the online weekly discussion. All of the remaining assignments are due during the last week of the quarter and include: Supervisor Evaluation, Student Self Evaluation, Time Sheet and Final Summary Paper.

How will term papers be graded?

All term papers will be graded as college-level term papers. There is a grading matrix for each of the term papers in the Course Syllabus. If you click the Syllabus and Forms link, you'll also find a Word document that will tell you how to configure your paper in APA style. Since this is NOT an English Composition class, I have also included a template for the two papers that is already configured in APA style. The margins, spacing and format are already done for you. You'll find your term paper is halfway written for you. All you have to do is add content.