Skagit Valley College

Student's Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I know if I am eligible for services?

A. You are eligible for services if:

  1. You have a physical, mental or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more parts of your life activities.
  2. If you are perceived to have such an impairment
  3. If you have a record of such impairment or have an abnormal condition that is medically cognizable or diagnosable.

Q. How do I go about arranging accommodations for my disability at SVC?

A. You must first identify yourself as a student with a disability to Disability Access Services. Call 360-679-5319 (Oak Harbor) or 360-416-7654 (Mount Vernon) to arrange an intake appointment with the Disability Access Services Office. Bring documentation of your disability to this appointment. (See the Acceptable Disability Documentation page for acceptable documentation standards.) The student bears the responsibility to request academic adjustments or accommodations from the DAS office in a timely manner each quarter in which s/he enrolls.

Q. I'm very nervous about going to college. How will I be treated at SVC?

A. The college policy is very strictly anti-discriminatory. There is a zero- tolerance level for discrimination of any kind. Also, the laws are very specific regarding discrimination o the basis of disability.

Q. What will I do if someone makes me feel "picked on" at SVC?

A. There are informal and formal grievance procedures in force at the college. Your first step would be to contact the Disability Access Services office. These people will guide you in the proper grievance procedures.

Q. What do I do if the instructor is reluctant to provide accommodations?

A. Advise the Disability Access Services office of the situation immediately.