Skagit Valley College

Admissions and Registration FAQs

1. What is the deadline for application? Is there a fee?

Applications are accepted year round. It is recommended that you allow 2 to 3 weeks to complete Pre-Flight orientation, assessment and group advising appointment prior to the quarter you wish to attend.   There is no application fee required.

2. What are the admissions requirements? Do you require ACT or SAT scores?

Admission is open to all high school graduates. If you plan to seek a degree or are a full-time student you will need to submit an application, complete Cardinal Pre-Flight, assessment, and if you have previously attended another post-secondary institution, send your official college transcripts to SVC.  ACT or SAT scores are not required.   See for details.

New SVC degree seeking students are required to attend an advising session before they can register at SVC.  This requirement can be fulfilled by attending a group advising session. Skagit Valley College has implemented mandatory advising to make sure students are aware of graduation requirements, college resources, and opportunities.  See for details.

Returning Students: Students returning to SVC after one year and plan to complete a degree need to re-apply and be re-admitted to Skagit Valley College.  If you plan to seek a degree or are a full-time student you will need to submit an application, complete Cardinal Pre-Flight, assessment, and if you have previously attended another post-secondary institution, send your official college transcripts to SVC.  See for details.

Transfer Students: Students who have attended another institution and are transferring to SVC are required to meet with a counselor before registering for classes.   See for details.

3. What is the difference between a degree and a certificate?

A degree requires a student to complete a minimum of 90 quarter credits in courses numbered 100 or 200 level in a planned sequence to develop proficiency in a technical field or meet the general education requirements for completing an associate degree. A certificate usually requires fewer credits and is specialized in one program area.

4. What is the difference between full-time and part-time enrollment?

For academic purposes and certification for various benefits (insurance, student loans and financial aid, social security, tax credits, etc.), full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits. (Note:  Financial Aid recipients must complete 12 credits for full-time status. 6 credits is half-time status.)

5. Why should I attend orientation?

Orientation offers a valuable source of information you will need to know before beginning college. Orientation supplies you with the who, what, where, and how to find information about SVC, and provides workshops that give you information on the skills you will need to become a successful student.

6. What intercollegiate sports do you offer?

We offer men's team sports in baseball, basketball, cross-country, soccer, track and field, golf and tennis. The women's teams include basketball, cross-country, soccer, softball, track and field, golf, volleyball and tennis. For more information, contact Steve Epperson (360) 416-7771, or e-mail:

7. How large is Skagit Valley College?

The total enrollment is approximately 6,500 students. The college operates campuses in Mount Vernon and Oak Harbor , the South Whidbey Center in Clinton, and the San Juan Center in Friday Harbor. The approximate enrollment for each is:

  • Mount Vernon Campus:  4,000
  • Whidbey Campus:  1,500
  • South Whidbey Center:  150
  • San Juan Center:  100

8. Can I transfer my credit to another college or university?

Yes. Most college level credits (courses numbered 100 or above) are transferable to another college or university. Course work will be evaluated by the college or university to which you wish to transfer. If you complete the AA-DTA degree you should expect a smooth transition into a four-year college within the state of Washington. Please note: Career/Vocational courses may or may not be transferable. More information is available at the Advising office.

9. What if I have received poor grades in the past?

Everyone is welcome at Skagit Valley College. We understand that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and potential levels of achievement. Through the course advising process our counselors will help you identify appropriate programs or courses of study. Our Student Support Service Program, where students can receive counseling, advising, tutoring services, and enroll in preparatory courses, will help you succeed and reach your educational goals.

10. Can I be admitted if I did not graduate from high school?

If you are 18 years of age OR older or have successfully completed the General Educational Development (GED) test you may be admitted.

11. I have trouble with Math. What can I do?

At Skagit Valley College, there are foundation courses offered through the Learning Development Center, which includes drop-in tutoring support for students enrolled in math courses. Placement test scores will place you in the appropriate level of mathematics, and will help you get started. We have specific programs that help students overcome learning problems. Math anxiety is a common problem for people and we can help you overcome it.

12. How do older students fit in at Skagit Valley College?

Great. While almost 60% of the new students in the freshman class come to SVC directly from high school, for the college as a whole, the average age of the SVC student is 32 years.

13. How does a student of color fit in at Skagit Valley College?

We welcome and encourage students of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds to become a student at SVC. Our Multicultural Services Office provides support and referral services, clubs and sponsors activities.